As I am a preschool teacher and mother of a sweet little child, I know how much kids love Puran Poli. This one dish is very commonly made in most of our Maharashtrian festivals. I love to watch
little Sanvi relish Puran Polis made by me. Here is a simple recipe for mouth-watering Puran Poli.
- Chana Dal- 3 Cups
- Flour- 2 Cups
- Ghee- 1 Cup
- Sugar/ Jaggery- 3 Cups
- Powdered Cardamoms- 4-5
- Salt- to taste
- Water- as required
Nutmeg (grated) - ¼
Method of Preparation
- First, you must mix the flour with water.
- Make a stiff dough by kneading properly.
- Cover the dough and keep aside. Let it stay for 2 hours
- You must then pressure-cook the dal. Strain the excess water from the dal.
- Cool the dal and add sugar with 1 tablespoon of ghee to this dal
- You must then cook this mixture in a low flame until the mixture becomes sticky and soft.
- You must knead the dough once again using salt, oil, and water until the dough becomes pliable.
- Grind the mixture of dal and sugar so that it becomes consistent. You may use milk if the mixture is too dry.
- You may now add nutmeg powder and cardamom powder.
- You may now take a lemon-sized portion of the dough. Take a larger portion of the dal mixture.
- On a board that is sprinkled with rice flour, take two round portions of dough. Roll out these portions into flat rounds of 7-inch diameter.
- Cover one of these flat rounds with dal mixture leaving the outer 1 inch. Place the second flat round on top of this and roll again so that there is perfect sealing.
- You may now roll this out like a thick chapati.
- Heat oil on a hot griddle and place the Puran Poli on it.
- Keep turning and pressing the puran poli so that it is cooked evenly.
- Keep applying ghee as and when needed so that it is cooked properly.
- Serve hot.